Our Story
Our church has played a critical role in the lives of African-Americans since it was established on March 10, 1887. It was founded by emancipated slaves who wanted a place of their own to worship.
Formerly located near the present site of Jacksonville Baptist College, we were relocated to Main Street in 1900.
The church quickly began to play a crucial role in the civic advancement of Jacksonville’s black citizenry.
Ever since the first century, the church has been symbolized by a boat. It has been called names such as the “old Ship of Zion.” We call ours Sweet Union. Christ is the pilot, the pastor is the captain and the world is the water. Christians are on the ship. They are bound for the harbor of Heaven.
Sweet Union set sail on March 13, 1887, with a few spirit-filled men aboard. Bro. Henry Sanders rode a mule to Henderson to get Reverend T. B. Johnson for the first captain. Jesus our Saviour was still the pilot.
Between the years 1887 and 1891, Rev. Johnson left to work in the mission field. Rev. Turner preached for a short time and left. Rev. Johnson returned and resumed his duties as pastor. A Sunday School Department was organized of which Brother Gus Tyrance was the first superintendent. Other early officers were: Will Ladd, Sunday School Secretary; Josephine Ragsdale and Alice Cumbo, musicians. During his pastorate, others who served as deacons were: Lawson Simmons, Will Berry, Leonard Guinn, Fleming McEwing, Elvin Earle, Jasper Yarborough, Robert Gray, and Bro. Neal. In 1894, services for the cornerstone laying were held. Rev. Johnson spent forty-five years of untiring service as an active pastor of Sweet Union. Under his leadership, the church grew in spirit and in number. Due to failing health, he retired from active duty in 1942 but remained an Honorary Pastor until his death.
The church called Rev. J. W. Presley to pastor in 1942. He served as pastor until 1951. He did much for the church’s growth. Under his pastorate, pews were added to the church, and the Sanctuary of the present building was erected.
In 1951, Rev. J. J. Finley was called and pastored for one year. In 1952, the church called the Rev. W. A. I. McDonald to the pastor. Under his administration, the annex, which included the pastor’s study, dining hall, baptistry, and restrooms was completed. A central heating and air-conditioning unit was also installed. Nine deacons were ordained under his administration. They were: Ausbie L. Earle, Bennie McBride, H. D. Fields, Bonnie Jones, J. W. Mosley, Chester Carey, Nathaniel Wilson, Leroy Mayfield, and James Brown.
In 1958, the Rev. J. B. Mitchell was called to pastor. Two deacons were ordained. They were Brothers Zeke Lewis and Curtis Williams. Rev. Mitchell served as pastor for four years.
In 1962, Rev. C. D. Daniels became the church’s pastor. One of the first outstanding things that he did was to put a calendar of activities for the year into the hands of the members. He was responsible for a radio program that was broadcast live from the church sanctuary for some time. He did much to improve the church physically and spiritually. While Rev. Daniels was pastor, the Head Start Program was held in the church. He was instrumental in the building of the Sweet Union Apartments and the church parsonage. He restored the Tithing Band and purchased the Tithing Box. The Allie Hicks property was willed to the church while he was pastor. A piano and organ were purchased under his administration. Rev. Daniels left the church in 1973 to work in the mission field.
The next pastor was Rev. G. C. Milton. During his pastorate, the windows of the church were repaired and the cushions were placed in the pews. He served until 1976. Eleven deacons were added. They were: Ordria Alexander, P. T. Tilley, Fred Williams, Morris Roland, Floyd Anderson, Tommie Swanson, Lemmond Boyd, Warren Tilley Jr., Vernell McCann, Reuben Davis, and Vernon Bowens.
In 1976, the Rev. U. L. Sanders was called to fulfill the position of Pastor. He labored, prayed, worked, and accomplished much. He had a program of “Outreach,” with him leading the way. The “Bus Ministry Program” was organized. Many souls were won for Christ. The second floor and other parts of the annex were completed. During this time, the pulpit was donated by the Fields family. The pulpit ceiling lights were generously donated by Rev. Charles Gray in memory of Deacon Robert Gray and Sis. Lizzie Gray. George Horn, Leonard Montgomery, and Elvin Henry were added to the deacon staff. In 1983, Rev. J. W. Simpson was called to fulfill the position of pastor. During his term, the parking lot was laid. He left the church in the spring of 1986.
In 1986, Rev. Karl Hockenhull was called to serve as pastor. A major renovation plan was implemented. The renovation included the addition of a beautiful vestibule and new restrooms. A new carpet was installed, the sanctuary was painted, and a new sound system was installed. The outside of the church was sandblasted, and the stained glass and annex windows were treated by the installation of vinyl. Bible racks on the back of pews were donated by Sister Gladys Berry in memory of her son, Calvin Berry. A. B. Tinsley, Lawrence Lyons, Larry Wallace, Clynell Anderson, Lincoln Brown, and Billy Williams were added to the deacon staff. Rev. Hockenhull left in February 1996. In 1997, Rev. S. A. Miles was called to the church. He served almost three years. During his tenure, the indebtedness of the bus was paid off. Rev. Miles left the church in Oct. 1999.
For 13 months Sweet Union had to cast an anchor to await certain favorable conditions to select a captain. After much praying, Rev. W. Germon was called to pastor the church on September 17, 2000, and he left in March 2002. After Rev. Germon left, the church was somewhat low in spirit. The Lord sent us the Rev. John Davis to take care of the church while we searched for a pastor. Rev. Davis kept us on course until 2003. The Reverend Horace Williams was called. Reverend Williams brought a “Sweet, Sweet Spirit” to the congregation. Under his leadership, the video screens were installed.
In July 2014, Reverend Williams left the church. Elder Rollen and Reverend Hinton carried the church on until Reverend Ceola Curley was called in November 2015. Under the leadership of Reverend Ceola Curley a new piano was purchased; new ceilings inside of the church were installed, a new bus was purchased and a carport was built to house the buses. A new family united under his leadership. Sweet Union will continue to serve God and the community. We continue with spiritual growth enrichment through Vacation Bible School each year, along with Bible Study, Sunday School, and Sunday Worship Service. Reverend Donald R. Colbert has been the Interim Pastor since September 2021. In January 2024 the church called Reverend Roland Tureaud, Sr. to lead the congregation as the new pastor.
To God Be The Glory!